Are you on your path?

In meditation this morning, a question came to mind that has been with me all day: 

Are you on your path?

Of course! i thought. But as it goes, often the simplest questions are layered with the potential to offer the most significant lessons. So rather than getting on with my day, filling it with a checklist of things, i paused to reflect. I paused to allow myself to peel back the layers of what it means to be on my path, what it entails, what is required and the implications outside myself.  

  • Being on a (my) path means that i have a general sense of the impact i want to make and how i want to show up in and with my family and community.  And in the course of doing this, i am guided by a general set of principles that include reciprocity, justice, kindness and compassion, propriety and so on. My questions to you are: What did you come to this earth to do in your lifetime? What do you see as your destiny? What is the impact you want to have in the spaces you define?
  • Being on a (my) path entails many things, including self-reflection, a commitment to learning from my and other's mistakes, loving myself, being non-judgmental, hard work and discipline, and a willingness to be flexible.  My questions to you are: What does walking on your path entail? What is your commitment, in practice, to fulfilling your destiny? How does it look on a daily basis?
  • Being on a (my) path requires disciplined, daily practice. Each person is different.  But observation and experience has taught me that "discipline makes things easier." (Thank Dead Prez for this track).
  • Being on a (my) path has implications for those around me.  The choices i make, the things i do, how i care for myself (or not), what i say, etc., impact those around me. And vice versa. For example, i've recently closed my facebook account as part of an effort to focus my time and energy a bit differently. This has put me and a couple of close friends and family in the position where we now have to communicate differently.  There are other examples that have far more significant implications i can point to, as can you perhaps. The bottom line is that regardless of the implications, living honestly, in alignment with your heart/your highest self  and moving in the direction of fulfilling your destiny is the right thing to do. Relationships and situations will change, shift, evolve as you do...sometimes that can be hard. But it won't always be.  

I can look at the decisions i make and the things i do each day and say yes, all of what i do moves me in the direction of ultimately fulfilling my destiny. But if i am honest with myself, i notice that at times certain thought forms, actions and interactions create road blocks, put me on winding roads and/or make walking my path a bit more challenging. This isn't necessarily or always a bad thing, but something to notice. So for me this question of being on my path is more a question of *how* am i on my path and in what ways can i make decisions that help me to grow, learn and become a more effective spiritual warrior-healer?

And to you i ask, *How are you on your path?*

Comments